Re: How to say this correctly?

Subject: Re: How to say this correctly?
From: "Linda K. Sherman" <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:44:44 -0400

Deborah Cooper wrote:

> The administrator can edit the characteristics of an already existing
> user by first...
>
> My question: should I be saying "already" or just "existing"? Thanks!

Neither. You can't edit something that doesn't exist.

The problem with eliminating both words, however, is that it leaves you
with a bare-naked "of" genitive ("the characteristics of a user"). So
you'll need to rephrase things a bit.

Without knowing the context, intent, audience, or desired tone of voice,
it's hard to say what the ideal wording would be. Some possibilities:

The administrator edits a user's characteristics by...
OR
To edit a user's characteristics, the administrator [verb]...

L.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Freelance Writer -- Technical - Business - Government

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=