Acronyms and Front Matter Question

Subject: Acronyms and Front Matter Question
From: Mike Ingram <MIngram -at- SCIENTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 16:54:22 -0600

Hello everyone,
I've checked archives for this and my own reference shelf and not found any
guidance. So perhaps someone out there can help. Here's the question:

How are acronyms treated in front matter? In this specific document, I have
a Preface, a Philosophy (I know this is an unusual item, but the technical
manager wants it), and an Executive Summary, in that order. If the same
acronyms occur in each, are they spelled out the first time they are used
in each? Or is "front matter" considered a section and acronyms are spelled
out for their first use? Or, since the Executive Summary is often read as a
standalone document, should acronyms _always_ be spelled out there even if
they have been used before and spelled out at their first occurrence? Or
should there be no acronyms at all in the front matter? Or ???

Thanks for any guidance/opinions.

Mike

Please note: Comments are solely my opinion and do not, in any way, speak
for SCIENTECH, Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=