ADMIN: Problems with e-mail formats

Subject: ADMIN: Problems with e-mail formats
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 06:25:30 -0600

Gang,

Do not reply to this message on the list. It's not
appropriate for discussion on TECHWR-L. I assume that
Steve plans to summarize the responses he gets
and contribute them to the TECHWR-L site to spare
others this difficulty.

In brief, only plain text messages are acceptable to send
to the list--the listserv software clearly doesn't deal with
them, nor should it. No, there's not a general technical
"fix". Each subscriber with problems sending plain text
needs to learn to resolve those problems.

It's not the role of this listserv to address how to
use email software--it's each individual
subscriber's job to learn to use the software they have
to correctly and effectively to post to this list.

In brief, to fix the problem with Outlook,
set an alias for the list, then set the alias properties
to send only plain text.

Two related reminders:
* Don't ever send test messages to the list. Wait until
you have a substantive contribution to make, then post.
* Don't send administrative questions, like the one that
inspired this message, to the list. Send them to me offline.

Eric

At 06:50 AM 9/10/98 -0500, Taylor, Steve wrote:
>This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
>this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.
>
>------ =_NextPart_000_01BDDCB1.444B9400
>
>I keep getting the below message back when I post. (This has not happened
>until just recently) I'm using Outlook 97. I get this msg even when I send
>an original msg, such as this one. I've tried sending as MIME/Plain text and
>just using the default.
>
>"Please take a couple of minutes the next time you
>post to edit out the extraneous content, like
>message headers, the TECHWR-L footer, the
>garbage your mailer automatically inserts, and
>anything else not necessary to provide the context
>for your posting.

* Eric J. Ray, ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com, http://www.raycomm.com/
* _HTML 4 for Dummies Quick Reference_, and others.
* Looking for new consulting projects--please query if interested.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=