Re: Getting Started Manual

Subject: Re: Getting Started Manual
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:06:26 -0400

> From: Lisa Depenbrock [mailto:lisa -dot- depenbrock -at- US -dot- FICSGRP -dot- COM]

> I may have to write a getting started manual for my company's internet
> banking system. As I have never written one before, I wanted to get
> some feedback about what type of information it should contain.

It should contain the information it takes your reader to get started. And
nothing else.

We can't get more specific. We don't know your system or your target
audience.

> I think a Getting Started manual should contain information about the
> following:
> Logging On
> Logging Off
Probably. Unless the system uses a security system that the target audience
is familiar with.

> Screen Components
Only the ones your target audience is not familiar with.

> Navigation
Only if your target audience is not familiar with the navigation system.

> How to use the online help provided
Only if your target audience is unfamiliar with the help system.

> Overview information of the system components.
Perhaps. Is it necessary in order to start using the system? Is the
information available in the help system or users guide (is there one?).

> My employer mentioned including system requirements and customer
> specific information but I am not sure those types of
> information should be included.

System requirements should only be included if the target audience has
control over the system. If the target audience consists of your customers
and they will be installing the system on their own computers, it makes
sense to include system requirements. If the audience is employees within
your company and the IS department is going to set up each station, the
system requirements should be documented for IS, and that documentation
should be separate from the Getting Started manual.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=