Re[2]: Don't Get Mad at me for this

Subject: Re[2]: Don't Get Mad at me for this
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:58:46 -0500

For what it's worth, my take on this is that Eric Ray (the list
owner) does a fantastic job of keeping us on track and handling off-
topic posts -- usually by first going to the poster privately. And
because he works hard to maintain this list as a useful resource
(believe me, I'm on some where the listowner takes nowhere near this
much responsibility, and the quality of the list suffers), I'd
suggest directing comments about the content to Eric directly.

I'll second that and add one more suggestion. Before targeting a specific
post as "off-topic" simply because it's not a question you (or even a
majority of listmembers) can answer, think about it in terms of techwr-l in
general. All the endless questions about how to get Framemaker to do thus-
and-so when creating an acrobat file, for example, hold no interest for
those of us not Framing for the web, but I'd be the last to claim them as
out-of-bounds for the list. Because a writer has a problem that you can't
help with (or relate to) is not, in itself, grounds for thinking it off-
topic.

All of us would love to have a resource focused laser-like on the specific
issues we deal with. But if we all made sure that all posts that lie
outside our limited perspective were eliminated, there would quite soon be
no traffic at all on this list. One poster's triviality is another one's
meat.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224