QUESTION: hardware version in manual?

Subject: QUESTION: hardware version in manual?
From: Patricia Bergsma <bergsma -at- LOCAMATION -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:17:17 +0200

Hi all,

Our current hardware manuals contain information about the hardware versions
(PCB versions), for which the manual is appropriate. When a new hardware
version is released without any functional change, the manual is still
appropriate. BUT, the new hardware version is not listed in the manual. So
the manual is always one (sometimes more) step behind.

I want to skip the hardware version information from the manuals, because I
think that, in this way, it is only more confusing than informing. Others
want to keep it information in. I need some strong arguments to convince the
others, but on the other hand, maybe they are right and I am wrong.
So I need your opinion: should I leave the hardware version information in
the manual or remove it?

TIA

Patricia Bergsma
Documentation Engineer