Re: Documentation Process and TM production

Subject: Re: Documentation Process and TM production
From: John Gilger <JohnG -at- MIKOHN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 08:03:49 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Rohina P Daruwala

<snip> What should go into the Process Document - E.g. How I should go
about writing the Technical Manual - guidelines etc.
</snip>

"Managing Your Documentation Projects" by JoAnn T. Hackos, published by John
Wiley & Sons, ISBN 0-471-59099-1, is an excellent reference for developing a
documentation process.

As for Tech Manuals, it depends greatly on the product and intended use of
the manual. Read the tech manuals you received from your vendors. If you
can, read the manuals from your competition.

I use the following broad outline to write Field Service Manuals for the
technicians who will be installing, repairing, or modifying our product in
the field:

1. Introduction & Specification
2. Machine Installation
3. Troubleshooting & Diagnostics
4. Standard Components
5. Optional Components
Appendices:
Wiring Diagrams & Schematics
Parts Lists and Exploded Views
Anything else pertinent to the equipment
Glossary
Index (not always)

HTH

John