Linking online doc to an intranet

Subject: Linking online doc to an intranet
From: Jim Lockard <norton -at- MEGSINET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:38:06 -0500

Good afternoon,

Attention HTML experts!

The question: How do you make a web page running in IE4 start an
application on a user's hard drive or network drive and cause that
application to open a particular file?

The background: For several years now, we've been developing our online
documentation in Infoaccess's Guide Passport suite. Now, the company I work
for is just getting around to erecting a corporate intranet, and I've been
asked whether we can link from an intranet page to a particular document in
our existing, non-HTML library. IOW, I want to know what HTML, or perhaps
Javascript, command will tell Internet Explorer to launch a separate
application and have that application open a file.

Any thoughts?

I'm afraid, if we cannot integrate our existing online documents with the
new intranet, we'll be asked to begin developing our online docs in HTML.
We're not ready to throw away the work we've already done. InfoAccess's
programs allow us to more easily create useful online documentation and
deliver it in a more powerful, fully featured browser.

TIA,
James Lockard

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=