standardized names

Subject: standardized names
From: Lizak Kristin <LizakKristin -at- JDCORP -dot- DEERE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:26:27 -0500

I'm having a discussion with marketing on the standardized usage of certain
words. When you are writing your manuals/online Help, when do you use the
following words: window, screen, panel, and palette? I am looking for a
guide on the general acceptance on when to use these terms - or any other
common ones (pull-down menus, etc.).

Also, we have a screen that has six tabs across the top of it. Each time you
click a tab a screen appears which corresponds to the name of that tab. For
example one tab is named Farm. On that screen you enter the name, location,
etc. of your farm. Although the name of the tab is Farm, I refer to it as
the Farm screen (ex: Enter the name of the farm owner on the Farm screen).
Marketing says that should be the Farm tab (ex: Enter the name of the farm
owner on the Farm tab).

Need words of wisdom and advice. Thanks in advance.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Call for Entries: WDC STC Pubs Competition
Next by Author: FrameMaker glossary "generator"
Previous by Thread: Post of 9/4/98 - Tech Writer Position Feedback
Next by Thread: Re: standardized names

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads