Re: Lowest Common Denominator/Reading to Learn

Subject: Re: Lowest Common Denominator/Reading to Learn
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:24:36 -0400

At 09:49 AM 9/17/98 -0400, "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- GHAYHOE -dot- COM> wrote:

<SNIP>

> Before 99% of the potential user base can "read to do" in a
> user's guide or online help about using either of these
> types of products, they need to "read to learn." In other
> words, they need conceptual information before they can deal
> with the procedural information.

<SNIP>

Absolutely.

I have two high-end photographic image editing packages (both came bundled
with
other applications).

The biggest problem I've had in learning how to use them isn't figuring out
which menu command or toolbar button does what. It's learning what the
photographic effects are in the first place. What I really should do is get a
"Photography for Dummies" book and read it first! Then learning the software
will be easy.

So folks who have to provide both kinds of information or instruction in one
source are facing a challenge.

Win

Win Day, Technical Writer
Mississauga, Ontario