Re: Lying applicants

Subject: Re: Lying applicants
From: Linda Sherman <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 10:34:20 -0400

Andrew Plato wrote:

> All this lead me to an interesting discovery. People believe their lies.
> This person I hired honestly believed she was a Windows NT and SQL expert.
> She was just appalled that people could not see that. How do your respond
> to that?

I made that discovery independently many years ago. But I also found out
the reverse is often true as well--some people grossly underestimate
their abilities. This phenomenon is by no means unique to technical
writers.

All I can suggest is to try changing your interviewing tactics. Ask the
candidate to talk about a specific project she did, and ask specific
technical questions about it.

L.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Freelance Writer: Technical - Business - Government

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=