Re: Lying applicants

Subject: Re: Lying applicants
From: Jane Bergen <janeber -at- CYBERRAMP -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:26:43 -0500

I agree, Brian, that interviewers sometimes ask lame questions. I've
been through a number of interviews over the past few weeks myself.
But what ARE some good questions to ask during a Technical
Communicator interview? It seems it would be difficult to be specific
and meaningful without seeing the candidate in action on an actual
project. It's also hard for the candidate to answer questions in a
sort of black hole. For example, I was asked to step through the
process of writing a user manual. That was easier than another
question, "How do you resolve conflicts on the job?" The second
question requires more information, such as who the conflict is with
(a supervisor, a SME, a coworker...they all require different
approaches), why the conflict exists (differences in work style?
issues of incompetency (mine or the other person's)? company
policies?), and what other circumstances exist (personalities
involved, past experiences with the person, support from management,
company culture, and so on).

It would be helpful to see a list of GOOD questions to ask....then we
might have a productive discussion.

Jane Bergen

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=