Re: Lying applicants and tests

Subject: Re: Lying applicants and tests
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:42:13 -0700

I can see this kind of thing if you were hiring a graphics person or
even a marketing person who does a lot of illustration for
presentations, but most tech writers, although they are able to do that
sort of thing when the job calls for it, shouldn't be required to do
that as part of a test.

As for the clown's head, I think I'd have asked if they interviewer had
a scan of his mug I could use. (bad girl!)

BJ

Bruce Ashley wrote:

> Ha!
>
> What if 'they' didn't have a clown's head to give you ????????? :).
>
> What about flowcharts, drop shadows on irregular shaped objects, screen
> capture manipulation etc.
>
> The clown's head, as with the rest, just indicates the ability level.
>
> And yes! I most certainly would give an illustrator an essay test. This
> would tell me whether I could rely on the illustrator to have correct
> grammar in the graphics.
>
> It would also show whether they were able to perform other tasks and
> therefore be capable of career advancement etc etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bruce Ashley
> OZ

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=