Re: A career question

Subject: Re: A career question
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:41:08 -0700

Porrello, Leonard wrote:

> As a contractor, is experience with a big company, say Compaq, more valuable
> than experience with a small company or many small companies, or does value
> come only from the types of things one does?

Think about how contractors are hired. The hiring company needs a problem
solved, usually fast. The person doing the hiring looks for people who have the
kind of experience needed to solve the problem. What's more likely to give
clues about that - experience with a big company, or experience with different
types of things?

In my experience, the broader the experience, the more qualified the
contractor. A person who's spent 7 or more years at the same company doing
pretty much the same thing isn't as likely to have the breadth of experience
possessed by someone who's been contracting at several companies and working on
different projects with different tools for the same amount of time.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=