Re: Detecting lies in the interview. Was: Interview questions for tec hwriters

Subject: Re: Detecting lies in the interview. Was: Interview questions for tec hwriters
From: "Nagai, Paul" <pnagai -at- VISA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:05:44 -0700

> Too kill this thread while it is still in its infancy, several times in
> his
> book _Lies_ or _Lying_ (I don't recall), Paul Ekman (again, I am unsure of
> the spelling of his name) states that to discern a lie one needs to know
> how
> the person suspected generally behaves. In other words, there are no
> certain
> signs of lying that one can use to tell if someone else is lying.

There's a book by a famous poker player (The Body Language of Poker : Mike
Caro's Book of Tells) that might make for interesting reading on this topic.
Of course, you must accept the maxim that life = poker :)

Has anyone ever seen the actual research (that may just be urban legend)
that determines Secret Service officers are the only group of people who
have been empirically show to have the ability to determine whether or not
someone is lying with better than 50% accuracy (and with statistical
significance)?

------
Paul Nagai

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=