Re: Advice/Examples on Facility Guides

Subject: Re: Advice/Examples on Facility Guides
From: Sean McFerren <McFerrenS -at- PGE-TEXAS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:12:02 -0500

My apologies for not defining *facility guide* better. The document will
contain information (such as emergency protocols, contact person, etc.) on
various systems throughout the building such as: fire suppression, water
chillers, plumbing, electrical, security, PBX, fire alarm, etc. The
audience is internal (primarily technical services personnell). I was
hoping to find some examples to aid my decisions regarding the structure of
the document. Unfortunately, the document sponsor, SMEs, and audience are
all very hard to schedule time with. From my brief introduction to the
project, I feel a reference manual (full of information) is what they want,
more so than a task focused guide. At any rate, I had the feeling that
some examples would point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Sean McFerren
Technical Communication Consultant
Pacific Gas & Electric
Houston, Texas
McFerrenS -at- pge-texas -dot- com

If you can give me a little better idea of what you mean by a facility
guide. I'm working on internal documentation for a company which will
document everything from Tech Specs to APIs to Troubleshooting. Is this
what you're talking about?
BJ

Sean McFerren wrote:

> I've just been assigned the task of developing a facility guide for a
large
> energy services corporation. My client has almost no existing
> documentation and this is the first time I've created a document of this
> type. Does anyone with this type of experience have some
pointers/advice,
> or better yet, examples they would be willing to share? Your
> advice/examples will really help me meet a tight deadline and will be
> greatly appreciated.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=