Re: Tense in Step-by-Step Procedures

Subject: Re: Tense in Step-by-Step Procedures
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 12:44:27 -0700

> Which is better:
> 1. Click on the Postings button. The Posting dialog box appears.
>
> Or:
> 1. Click on the Postings button. The Posting dialog box will
> appear.
<<<<<

Present tense all the way. Sounds more immediate, emphasizes the
whippy-snappy way that the user is just blazing through their work. "The
Posting dialog box will appear" makes we wonder when? After it wakes up,
splashes its face, and has a cuppa Joe?

I only use future tense in two situations.

1. When something is explained better using the future tense. This
happens very rarely.
2. When I get tired and write sloppy. It's kind of a bad habit, as my
editor once pointed out.

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=