Re: Gender

Subject: Re: Gender
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:01:36 -0700

This may be going in a new direction: when writing mil-spec docs, my
favorite uncle (Sam) insisted on gender-free products. Complying, we
wrote "the plumber will ...", "the sailor/airman/soldier/Marine (NEVER
"GI") shall...", "the writer may ..." and so on; plurals were
plumbers, sailors(etc.), writers. "GI" or "G.I." for the youngsters
in the crowd, means "Government Issue" (as in clothing, vehicles,
housing, etc., but never [to a GI ;-} anyway] to service personnel.
'Course, Uncle and I prefer UChicago and Harvard to the libertine (!)
Fowler grammar (send retorts to me, not the list), so a singular
"they" screams for an editor to grab red pencil and earn the editor's
keep.

And now, back to turning in (out) threaded fasteners.
(You had to be there.)

==
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=