Re: Value of tech. comm. departments

Subject: Re: Value of tech. comm. departments
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:36:05 -0600

At 08:04 AM 10/1/98 -0600, Geoff Hart wrote:
>A great starting point would be to examine the past few years of
>_Technical Communication_ for case studies and the like. A quick
>(not comprehensive by any means) check of my bookshelf reveals that
>the August 1997 issue has a few relevant articles, and the February
>1995 issue is wholly devoted to measuring value added. None of these
>articles is likely to precisely match your situation, but each one
>should provide useful strategies that you can adapt to your own
>situation. Good luck!

Actually, check out the August 1998 issue for "Measuring the Value
Added by Technical Documentation: A Review of Research and Practice,"
by Jay Mead. It's in v45Q3 of Technical Communication, starting on page
353.

It's an invaluable article, and a good read to boot.

Eric

Eric J. Ray RayComm, Inc.
http://www.raycomm.com/ ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

*Award-winning author of several popular computer books
*Syndicated columnist: Rays on Computing
*Technology Department Editor, _Technical Communication_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=