Re: stripey scroll bars

Subject: Re: stripey scroll bars
From: Michelle Corbin <mcorbin -at- HEALTHMATICS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:00:55 -0400

While we are discussing the "stripey scroll bars" which is also known as a
moire, I believe, I have a "fix" for the situation. The production group
put together these instructions for all the writers doing screen captures.
They worked like a charm and I got kinda used to the white background after
awhile. :-) These instructions below are for Win95, but if there is
interest, I have some ones that are supposedly specific to WinNT.

TTFN,
Michelle

============

The Windows 95 default color scheme contains a dithered color in the scroll
bars
that creates an annoying/distracting moire pattern when printing screen
captures.
To avoid the moire, and keep us from having to recapture all the screens,
do the following:
1. In Control Panel/Display, select the Settings tab and choose Color
palette: 256 color (not High Color or True Color).
2. Select the Appearance tab.
3. Select the Windows Standard scheme.
4. Change the Desktop Background color to white.
5. Choose Save As . . . and name the new scheme. This will allow you to
switch between your preferred color scheme, and the one for screen
captures. You will not need to go through all these steps again.
6. Make sure you select the new scheme. Click on Apply (not OK, Apply).
You will get a message telling you you will need to restart the computer
for your changes to take effect. Click on Yes.
7. After the computer reboots, choose Run . . . from the Start Menu.
8. Enter REGEDIT and Click OK. (If this doesn't work, browse and find
Regedit.exe in the main Windows folder.)
9. In path sequence, open these folders: HKEY_USERS, .Default, Control
Panel, Colors.
10. In the right side of the Registry Editor window, find the
ButtonHilight item. Double-click on it and change the value to 230 230 230.
11. Find the Scrollbar item and change its value to 230 230 230.
12. Exit REGEDIT.
13. Restart Windows.
You will now have a color scheme that includes a white background (better
for showing desktop elements and easier for cropping on our part, if
necessary) and a solid gray scrollbar.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=