FW: CVS For Documentation

Subject: FW: CVS For Documentation
From: Lynn Perry <CLPerry -at- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:21:22 -0700

We use PVCS, which sounds similar CVS. The problem with PVCS is that is
doesn't really handle some of the more subtle "document" features. PVCS
is great for text-based files and provides a huge amount of support for
managing change control, such as merging changes from differing versions
and tracking multiple revisions. I have heard that some folks have
experienced problems with some kinds of documentation (such as
FrameMaker, PageMaker, or other layout types). I don't now remember the
problems, but it had to do with merging changes. Any change merging
should be done in the tool used to create the doc, not using the
automated PVCS functionality.

There are no specific advantages for using PVCS for documentation, but
it's really not that much more difficult that using Visual SourceSafe
(except for having to learn an entirely new interface and tool and
having to use the DOS Command window, which can be intimidating to some
writers).

I can say that PVCS has saved techpubs bacon several times in the past
year, first when one of the writer's disk drive took a nosedive, and
then in helping us track when our (especially HTML) docs got corrupted.
It is very easy to check out older versions and do file compares to
determine where the changes occurred. That makes it a cinch to at least
locate the offending HTML (fixing it and understanding why the fix works
are subjects outside the scope of this e-mail).

Another advantage is being able to call on shared experience with the
developers. In my experience, anything that can help bring the techdocs
folks and the developers closer together is an major plus. And because
PVCS is so commonly used, I've found that my knowledge of the tool
itself has added to my credibility, which I find most useful.

Hope this helps.

C. Lynn Perry
clperry -at- walldata -dot- com
Opinions expressed are mine alone
Wall Data Incorporated, Seattle WA
Some days it doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=