Re: Tool knowledge versus Task knowledge

Subject: Re: Tool knowledge versus Task knowledge
From: Michelle Corbin <mcorbin -at- HEALTHMATICS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:00:17 -0400

I found myself agreeing with much of what Eric had to say. My resume is
purposefully focused on my writing and editing skills and not on the tools
and technologies. I do have a list of tools that I have used, but I
preface it with the following: "These are the tools that I know today."
Tools and technologies can be learned, on the job, easily, if you have the
motivation and wherewithal to do such things.

Many of the other posters have made me think of what the perfect
"department" of technical communicators would be. Here is what I think:

(1) At least one good technical editor (hey! that's me! <laugh>) who can
focus on the overall "information design" of the entire set of information
for a product, as well as the nitty-gritty language details.

(2) At least one good graphic designer/desktop publisher, who can focus on
the graphics, and the overall design of the layout and presentation of the
information.

(3) At least one good "technology geek." I mean the word geek in the most
respectful way, because I think it is a title to be earned and respected.
:-) This person would focus on learning the latest tools, helping figure
out the technical details of the job, and creating macros and time-saving
devices for everyone else in the department.

(4) At least one good technical writer, who can focus truly on the
collection of information and the presenting of that information to the
appropriate audience.

While it is fun to wear the different hats, it is not always feasible or
realistic to try to do so. But, as long as we are still trying to prove
our value to a company, it is tough to try to suggest that you need 4
different technical communicators to produce good, solid, usable technical
information. Actually, at my company, we have all of these people to some
degree, and it is a great combination of folks and the process works well.
It is one of the reasons I chose to come to this company. The team of
people I would get to work with.

TTFN,
Michelle

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=