Re: Temps are people too! -Reply

Subject: Re: Temps are people too! -Reply
From: Colleen Adams <colleen_adams -at- MEDISPAN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:55:40 -0500

Or, rather than relying on the temp agency to test an applicant's skills,
we've developed our *own* test for a word processing temp. Our test
includes some advanced word processing tasks, as well as being able to
find blatant errors in a body of text (since it's important for our Doc
Assistants to be able to do this when assisting a writer on a project).
Additionally, we require that *we* interview the temp ourselves (just like
we would do for a full-time employee candidate), rather than allowing the
temp agency to use their own judgement on providing us with a body.

We've been burned too many times with physcho-temps-from-hell
(literally). We make it *very* clear in the interview that if he/she does not
seem to be working out after 1 week, we'll look elsewhere. Our
Documentation Assistant positions within our team are critical to the
overall workflow of our projects (and trust me, we've been burned on
full-timers, too). We quite screwing around trying to tolerate those
individuals that didn't display the necessary qualities for the job upfront.

Colleen Adams
External Documentation Manager
First DataBank, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN
colleen_adams -at- medispan -dot- com

>>> Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM> 10/06/98 05:49pm

When I was working for an agency, they provided support while I was
on the
job. I could call them first and get help. They also tested my skills
in-house before sending me out. If more agencies did this sort of thing,
perhaps the client satisfaction rating would go up.

Marilynne

At 02:47 PM 10/6/98 , Sella Rush wrote:
>I've never worked as a tech writing temp (contractor) for an agency, but
>prior to going into tech writing I did spend over a year working for=
several
>temp agencies on clerical assignments. Later, working as a
writer/editor=
in
>a publications department, I had the chance to work with dozens of
word
>processing temps.
>
>I enjoyed being a temp, partly because I like variety. I also found it
>extremely easy to "blow people away", mainly because I actually
showed up
>and accomplished something. And because I'm not a lemming, I also
tried to
>contribute my perspective.
>
>*However*, I do not agree that the face of temps has changed. Once in
>while you get a jewel like Laura, someone you can give a complex job to
and
>not check up on them every ten minutes. Most of the time you get
people=
who
>know their stuff toolwise, but need their hand held for a while before
they
>come close to being productive (which is expected). Quite often you
get
>people who simply don't have the tool know-how or other skills, and if
>they're nice you give them the benefit of the doubt and blame the
agency=
for
>suckering both of us. And occasionally you get someone who may or
may not
>know the tools but it doesn't matter because their raison d'=EAtre is to=
rack
>up as many billable hours while accomplishing as little as possible. This
>situation will never change until agencies devote more time to
screening=
and
>become more scrupulous about matching skills to needs. And I think this
is
>true for tech writing temps (contractors) as well as clerical.
>
>Sella Rush
>mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
>Applied Technical Systems (ATS)
>Bremerton, Washington
>Developers of the CCM Database
>
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g., SIGNOFF
>=20
Marilynne Smith marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer (619) 651-6664
QUALCOMM AE-203B
"We'll have the whole world talking"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=
Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g., SIGNOFF

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=