Re: Demonstrating Click and Drag Selection on Paper

Subject: Re: Demonstrating Click and Drag Selection on Paper
From: Jill Ramacciotti <jramacci -at- SIEBEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 11:50:24 -0700

When I was teaching Windows apps to new computer users, I would make
everyone in the class take the basic "How to use Windows" tutorial that used
to ship with Windows 3.1.

I also added a section to the beginning of each doc stating that the reader
should use the tutorial before proceeding.

The tutorial walked them through basics such as using the mouse,
double-clicking, drag-and-drop, and understanding the file structure.

I would hate to have to dumb down a manual for this audience. Remember that
they are used to being talked to as experts, and if you over-sxplain, you
are going to lose them anyway.

The other trick I would use is to MAKE everyone play solitaire during down
time to develop their clicking and dragging skills.

Once they understand the basics, they should be able to grasp concepts
pretty easily.

*** And make sure you test your doc with actual users!!!!

Jill Marie Ramacciotti
Senior Technical Writer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=