Re: Document Control Solutions

Subject: Re: Document Control Solutions
From: Dan Lewis <danlew -at- DELPHI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 09:24:51 -0400

In discussing document control solutions beyond what Word allows, Melissa
Lowery included the following:

>Since Cathriona needs something similar
> to the capabilities of SourceSafe, except designed for binary files, a
> tool other than Word needs to be used.

Could Melissa or anyone please explain the difficulty referred to in
"except designed for binary files." Partly because SourceSafe has been
suggested for document conrol on this list in the past, we have decided to
proceed with using it for a large class of our documentation. We are a
small company and we already use SourceSafe for software version control.
What are the difficulties associated with using SourceSafe for binary files?

TIA

Dan Lewis
Vitel Software, Inc.
dlewis -at- vitelsoftware -dot- com