Shakespeare and Tech Writing

Subject: Shakespeare and Tech Writing
From: Cyndy Davis <kivrin -at- ZDNETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:10:10 -0700

I agree with Steve English, its important not to rule out any tool we have to impart information. In order to realize how important some of these "tools" (metaphor, simile, alliteration and many others) are, just think of how many people can recognize some phrases.

"To be or not to be, that is the question . . ."
"full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"
"a magical thing happened that day, {insert character)'s heart grew three sizes"
"toil and trouble"

You know where these phrases come from, the writer used all of the tools he had and came up with a memorable phrase. Something that sticks in your mind.

Using a conversational style, i.e. the Dummies books, is also important. And isn't style a tool?? Please don't reduce your writing to the simplest level just because you don't want to use a tool. Write to the audience using every piece of artillery you have.

Sometimes I will write long instructions using a bit of rhyme or alliteration just to keep the reader going. That way they end up having to finish the instructions before beginning. (Something most cookbooks need!)

My 2 cents (or .05 adjusted for inflation)
Cyndy

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=