Re: Word toolbar problem

Subject: Re: Word toolbar problem
From: Jennifer Rush <jenni -at- KUENTOS -dot- GUAM -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 15:15:22 +1000

Hi Peter,

Awhile back I sent a message to the list regarding having "lost" my Header
and Footer Toolbar. Three extremely helpful people responded to my request,
but none had the answer. After spending more time delving deep into the
heart of Word 7, I finally happened upon the solution. I've not gotten
around to sharing it with the list, so will do so now.

I suggest you try clicking on the "Show only web tool bar" button in the
web tool bar to see if your toolbars reappear. Below is how I happened upon
this possible solution.

Word has a web tool bar that likes to keep coming up. I never use it so
didn't pay any attention to it. However, on it there is a button with an up
arrow. It's the "Show only web tool bar" button. Best I can figure, I
accidentally clicked on that one time when I was in View Header and Footer
mode and it hid my Header and Footer Toolbar.

I had tried everything to get it back before stumbling across this.
(Re-Installing; Uninstalling; endless searches of the MS Word web site;
virus checkers; replacing Normal.dot file; etc.)

Now I can access my Header and Footer Tool bar, but there is still
something residual because each time I open up a new document, I must go
into View Header and Footer and then click on the "Show only web tool bar"
button to get the H/F Toolbar to reappear.

I came across this somewhere in a desperate search of the depths of
Tools>Options or Tools>Customize. I can't remember which.

If this doesn't help, another route I took in trying to find info was to go
to <http://www.dejanews.com/> and search newsgroups.

Jenni

At 09:35 PM 10/10/98 +1000, Peter Fagan wrote:
>Sometimes In Microsoft Word 7, when I have created a template toolbar to
>carry macro and autotext buttons, and placed some buttons on it, the toolbar
>just suddenly disappears and cannot be recovered. It still displays as an
>option in the Toolbars
>window (VIEW | Toolbars), however whether checked or not, does not display.
>
>Its disappearance does not appear to be related to toolbar size. Recently I
>lost a toolbar with only six or seven buttons on it. It's a very annoying
>problem, as quite a bit of time can have gone into designing toolbar
>buttons.
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Peter Fagan