Re: Q: Overused words and phrases (Long. Very long.)

Subject: Re: Q: Overused words and phrases (Long. Very long.)
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:50:50 -0400

Hello, Stan, et. al

In looking over the list, it occurs to me that many of what you and
others have denegreated to OW&P, are simply the most accurate means of
phrasing a common business, and many of them are the correct term for a
description...kinda like relagating the word computer to that thing that
take up space on your desktop.

For instance...the terms Best Practices, Business Units, Core Business,
Expert System, or Value Added (just to name a few).

Those terms actualy mean something. Could you come up with a better term
for each, in two words (OK, how about four) that means exactly what that
term means.

The problem I have with "just creating a list" is that there are many
readers on this list that are new to techcomm, and they may actualy keep
this list. Then, the next time they are given input, one or more of
these phrases may be in it, they will look at the list (some actualy
trust the opinions of those on this list), detirmine that the phrase is
overused, and try to come up with an alternative; of which they will
either fail, take too much time, or create material that isn't clear or
accurate.

BTW...how can something be overused if "...I invented this one!)"

Stan Xhiao wrote:

> Action item
> Actualize
> Agents of change
> Ball in your court
~
~
> Turnkey
> Utilize
> Value added
> Verbage
> Vertical campus (Skyscraper or tall building?I invented this one!)
> Vertical/horizontal integration

John Posada, Technical Writer
Bellcore, where Customer Satisfaction is our number one priority
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com mailto:jposada -at- notes -dot- cc -dot- bellcore -dot- com
phone(w) 732-699-3077 phone(h) 732-2910-7811
alpha-pager: 800-864-8444 pin 1857522 http://www.tdandw.com
email pager: mailto:1857522 -at- pagemart -dot- net
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish,
and he will sit in a boat and smoke cigars all day."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=