writing and seeing, and those dang buttons

Subject: writing and seeing, and those dang buttons
From: "R. W. Shade" <rshade -at- FAST -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:32:35 -0400

Rich observed

>I've seen a huge increase in the amount and role of visual content
>since I've been reading and writing technical documents. Is this
>just because our tools are better, or is our audience changing as
>well? ...RM

Well, look at all the visually-oriented language we use to describe our
thought processes (the word "observe" at the top of this message, the word
"look" at the beginning of this sentence) - "see" what I mean?

>The basic idea is that the introduction of writing about 5000 years
ago rewired our brains and totally changed society.<

Which came first? Isn't writing a graphic portrayal of our thoughts?
Doesn't the act of reading and writing require a translation of (you name
it) into or from graphic symbols? Isn't printing a prompt in a manual for
a prompt-and-scroll software application the same as inserting a picture?
Research has demonstrated that young children who spend large chunks of
time drawing and coloring turn out to be better readers. That suggests to
me that written language is merely an extension of capabilities we as a
species already had, not a new skill that required brain rewiring.

Writing changed society for other reasons, such as standardization of
language, elimination of the "scribe" classes, increased access to
mysticism/religion, etc.

I think technical writing's increased usage of graphics reflects the
transition of programming languages from symbol-based interfaces (in the
strictest sense) to GUIs. Spend some time with a person who is not
familiar with, for example, the WIN95 interface. Tell them to click a
particular icon button, then watch while they scan the screen looking for
the target. Then, show them a picture of the button give the same
instruction. The argument that writers should not use pictures of buttons
just doesn't cut it with those of us who write for groups unfamiliar with
the basics of interface navigation. The last thing those users are
concerned about is how a button graphic "messes up" the line of type!

Additionally, there are some types of tech writing that cannot work without
pictures - parts manuals, for example. I remember once assigning a group
of 12th graders a "how-to" composition -instructions for assembling a
child's tricycle - without using any pictures or jargon. Then we
blindfolded a volunteer and read the instructions while the hapless subject
tried to complete the task.

I've been a software user for nearly 20 years and one of the two major
irritations that I find still exist in most (if not all) software programs
is the inability to access certain functions because I can't find the
appropriate button - either because the icon on the button isn't clear to
me, or because the function's name is misleading). Folks who use my help
files (or manuals) never have to hunt for a button.

Russ

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=