TERMS GE-ENG CHANGE MACHINE

Subject: TERMS GE-ENG CHANGE MACHINE
From: Regina Schwarz <regina_schwarz -at- BBN -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:10:17 +0200

Robert wrote:

<snip>
>One general question: Where are all those wonderful sounding technical >data bases like Termium to be found? I looked but couldn't find them. >What's the magic key?
<snip>

I'll give your request a shot. You may get more info by posting your
request in the SCI.LANG.TRANLATION newsgroup though. They specialize in
this kind of stuff :-) Also, the website www2.echo.lu/edic is good.

Service Werkstatt = Service Center
(HP calls these in German "Kundendienstzentren" = Customer Service
Centers. HP call the staff "Support Anbieter" = literally "Support
Offerers". Of course "support" is an English word that's become somewhat
universal. HP here in Germany speaks an English/German mix :-)

VERTEILER = This can be a schapps that you drink after a very rich
dinner, but I assume that you mean a distributer :-) I'd use the term
"Handler" ("dealer") though, with an umlaut (two dots) over the A.

RIEMEN = belts

WEICHENMAGNET & KAEMME (Your translation is literally right, but since
I'm not an SME, I'm not sure what the English term is.)

ENDKASSE = money delivery slot??

STAUS = jams

SCHIEBEBLECH = (schiebe = push) (blech=metal/tin) not sure...

KASSETTENTRAEGERS = (Your trans is literally right, but since I'm not an
SME, I'm not sure what the Engl term is.)

HAUBE = a housing or cover

BANKENOTENVERARBEITUNG (not sure...)

ROTATIONSPRINZIPS = yes, "rotation principle"

FEHLERBESCHREIBUNG = "error message" or "error description"

FEHLERSUCHE = I would call this "troubleshooting"

DIAGNOSEPLATINE diagnostic card? diagnostic disc? (sounds right...)

NEUESTEN STAND = When referring to software, I would call this "latest
version". Here in Germany, the design of the bills changes every few
years. I guess this is to foil counterfeiters. Unlike in the US, the old
bills are then no longer accepted in stores, although banks accept them
a while longer. Therefore, this could mean that the software is up to
date with the latest money design. (I'm not sure if "money design" is
the right term ;-)

Good Luck Robert!

Gruesse aus Muenchen (= Greetings from Munich)
Regina Schwarz

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=