Re: re overused phrases/words

Subject: Re: re overused phrases/words
From: Jane Bergen <janeber -at- CYBERRAMP -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 22:29:22 -0500

Interesting discussion, this. I hope Eric doesn't kill it yet as it
really seems important to me with so many new tech writers that we
discuss some of these redundancies and overused words in technical
documentation. Unfortunately, I see a trend toward this kind of
writing as marketing and technical documentation grow closer together.
I won't rant and rave about marketing writing...that's a whole other
subject, but I do see it bleeding over into technical writing...and
thus we have one (of many) sources for the problems.

Some of my pet peeves are:

* Using "this" as a subject. For example, "This is the reason...." It
is usually clear as mud what exactly "this" refers to. (Obviously
ending a sentence with a preposition isn't on my list <g>!)

* Using long words or phrases when short ones will do. For example,
"In order to open the xxx dialog" is usually best left at "To open the
xxx dialog..." As another example of long words, just about any use of
the word "utilize" is like hearing fingernails on the blackboard to
me. I say "use" instead.

* Seeing procedures that begin, "Next you need to..." instead of just
using the imperative: Insert the disk..." The word "next" ought to be
clear if you are correctly using numbered lists.

* Seeing a section title, "Introduction" --- it's about as useful as
the word "Resume" typed on the top line of a resume. What did you
think your reader would suspect it was....an index?

For anyone interested, one of the best books on tight writing is
Joseph Williams book, "Style: Ten Lessons in Clarity and Grace." I
think every writer (technical or otherwise) ought to be required to
read this book.

To keep this discussion from turning into a dump for pet peeves, what
are some of the best methods you (techwhirlers) use to keep your
writing tight and concise? Do you ever read it aloud? Do you have a
word list that you maintain as a sort of checklist for editing? Do you
have any good books to recommend? Any great luck with grammar checker
software?

And does anyone find that technical writing makes his/her other
writing better? worse? more difficult?

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
Dallas, Texas