Re: overused phrases/words

Subject: Re: overused phrases/words
From: WPAINE <WPAINE -at- LANIER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:36:24 -0400

Jane Bergen responded

<snip> Unfortunately, I see a trend toward this kind of writing as
marketing and technical documentation grow closer together. <snip>

I agree with Jane here, with one caveat. Remember that too often
marketing is a profit center while documentation of a product is not.
Putting pressure on writers to make the text a little more warm and
fuzzy or snazzy and upbeat for the users.

<snip> Some of my pet peeves are:

* Using "this" as a subject. For example, "This is the reason...." It
is usually clear as mud what exactly "this" refers to. (Obviously
ending a sentence with a preposition isn't on my list <g>!)<snip>

This is the reason that... <G>...just joking. I agree.

<snip> * Seeing a section title, "Introduction" --- it's about as
useful as the word "Resume" typed on the top line of a resume. What
did you think your reader would suspect it was....an index?<snip>

While I think you are right about single documents and smaller
manuals, I disagree with you here. I have worked on complex database
management software manuals that ran across volumes. There are places
for sections titled "Introduction" or "Overview."

<snip> what are some of the best methods you (techwhirlers) use to
keep your writing tight and concise? Do you ever read it aloud? Do you
have a word list that you maintain as a sort of checklist for editing?
Do you have any good books to recommend? Any great luck with grammar
checker software?<snip>

I will do word searches on the words I am apt to use when my writing
gets lazy. If I can't justify it in there, then Ctrl+Del. If I see too
many close together, then I mark that area for rewrite.

I also read aloud once in a while, (softly so I don't have to duck
paper clips coming over the wall if the prose is really bad).

If you find a good grammar checker tell the world!

Bill Paine

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=