Re: US professional issues

Subject: Re: US professional issues
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:59:56 -0700

John Gilger wrote:

> It has been my experience that employers do not want to look outside of
> their local market, primarily because of relocation expenses.

<snip>

> Is this because visa-workers move to these areas at their own expense?

It's all a case of market demand. In Silicon Valley, if your skills are in
enough demand, employers may pay moving expenses. Some do, some don't. In other
areas, there may not be enough scarcity of qualified workers to warrant paying
moving expenses.

But consider: moving someone across the country can cost a company less than
$10,000, frequently less than $2500. Yet that amount is usually within the
'negotiable salary' range. And moving expenses are a tax-deductible expense.
So if you get a higher salary by moving to a new area, you can deduct the cost
of moving and save on taxes in the process.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=