Re: US professional issues

Subject: Re: US professional issues
From: David Knopf <david -at- KNOPF -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:24:36 -0700

I'm not a lawyer but I'm sure that's not legal. Having once hired someone
under an H1B visa, I can say we really had to jump through hoops to get it
through:

- The job posting was required to be up in-house for 15 or 30 days (I can't
remember which right now)

- We had to obtain a ruling from the California Dept of Labor substantiating
our claim that the salary we proposed to pay was in fact the "prevailing
wage" for someone with the background and skills we were looking for

- We had to run advertising in a major newspaper three times at a cost of
over $1,000

- We had to interview every single candidate who applied

- We had to provide a written justification for declining each American
candidate (none of the American applicants had even close to what we were
looking for in terms of qualifications)

- The process was costly in terms of legal fees, filing fees, and so
forth -- not to mention the agonizing frustration of dealing with INS, which
makes the IRS look downright efficient

Fortunately, we were able to find an H1B worker who could do the job. If we
hadn't, the position would have gone unfilled, period. Since the 65,000
visas allowable under the current law were all issued in the first six
months of this year, I expect there are quite a few companies in the Bay
Area that simply can't fill positions right now.

Also, for the record, I believe Congress is proposing a *temporary*
expansion in the number of H1B visas allowable on an annual basis, returning
to the 65,000 currently allowed in somewhat under 5 years.

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415-820-2356
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Writing * WinHelp * Web Sites * Training * Consulting
RoboHELP Certified Trainer * RoboHELP Certified Consultant

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=