Re: Developing Measureable Career Goals/Objectives

Subject: Re: Developing Measureable Career Goals/Objectives
From: Garret Romaine <garret -dot- h -dot- romaine -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:12:21 -0700

Ruth wrote:
> Some of the long-term goals I've defined:
> - Development/integration of formalized technical writing standards,
> - Developing a CBT course using Authorware,
> - Create project plans for the technical writing tasks of a project

[Romaine, Garret H]
Ruth, I don't believe these are truly long-term goals. I'd insert things
like "Publications Manager in 5 years" or "full-time documentation
consultant" or whatever. Perhaps more flippant but equally valid are titles
such as the following:

1) Information goddess
2) Online documentation guru
3) Publications talking head

The reason I've jumped in is because next month the Willamette Valley
Chapter of STC is hosting a half-day seminar modestly entitled, "Curing
Career Angst," based on my magazine article of the same name. What you have
to ask yourself is the following: "What do I enjoy doing, and am actually
good at, that is marketable?" Then you can ask yourself what that career
means. Do you want to be a high-priced consultant, hosting seminars,
speaking before groups, publishing books? Wherever your career is headed,
you'll probably either need training, education, or experience. Our seminar
focuses on alternative ways to gain all three.

Garret Romaine
Willamette Valley
garret -dot- h -dot- romaine -at- tektronix -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=