Word Indexing Problem

Subject: Word Indexing Problem
From: "Mason, Catheryn" <CMason -at- INFINITEC-COM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 12:25:27 -0500

I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on my difficulty, as I don't
belong to the Word listserv, cannot find any answers in my $40,
1180-page Office 97 reference book, and find the Help feature to be of
no help for this particular query. I'm a little frustrated. *If you
consider this to be an off-topic posting, please respond to me
off-list.*

BACKGROUND:
I have created a manual with 5 sections (about 120 pages total) that
will require an exhaustive index. The sections are numbered separately,
each beginning with "1" (Section 1, page 1-30; Section 2, page 1-40;
etc.). I do not want to re-number the entire document sequentially
because we plan to distribute updates and additions separately (rather
than sending out an entire manual to a customer each time a change is
made).

PROBLEM:
My problem is with the index. When I generate the index, it is of
absolutely no use because it only grabs the page number and not the
section number (various entries are listed on page one with no clue as
to which section is involved, and editing this by hand would be a
nightmare, never mind that I would lose all of my edits any time that I
updated the index).
I have tried formatting the page number to read, for example, 3-1, and I
get the following error message: "Start At must be between 0 and 32766
for this format." When I try to include chapter numbers, Word directs
me to the Bullets and Numbering option where I cannot seem to link my
Heading 1 to Chapter 1. I recognize that this is all very tedious to
hear, however, here is my ...

QUESTION:
Have any of you successfully generated an index in Word for a document
with multiple sections, all of which began with "Page 1"? If so, how did
you do it? And if anyone has encountered or knows how to solve my
present difficulty, I'd appreciate any advice. I hope that there is
some way to do what I am trying to do without having to edit an entire
index by hand, checking each reference and manually adding in "2-1" or
"3-5."

Thanks for any help, guidance, or advice -- I'm stumped.

Catheryn Mason
Technical Writer
Infinitec Communications, Inc.
cmason -at- infinitec-com -dot- com