Re: Term for the syntax elements of a programming language

Subject: Re: Term for the syntax elements of a programming language
From: Linda Sherman <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 18:17:39 -0400

Jon Herrera wrote:

> Hi Technical Communicators:
>
> What do you call the different syntax elements of a programming
> language? I need a term that would cover class definitions, object
> declarations, function declarations, if-then-else statements, loops,
> etc.

I assume you want a single generic term that covers all cases, otherwise
you would be using the specific terms.

> The programmers I work with have suggested the following, but I'm not
> sure which one's appropriate.

I don't think any of them are, if I understand your question correctly.
Here's why:

> constructs

This term is normally used only for theoretical or abstract concepts. I
don't think it's at all appropriate here.

> structures

That's a specific entity in C/C++ and many other languages.

> forms

People will think you're referring to something you display on the
screen (or print on paper) for the user to fill in.

> productions

Sounds like something from Hollywood. This was a buzzword for a while
among some theoreticians--I assume they knew what they meant, but I
never figured it out. I think it comes from linguistics, another
fabulous source of impenetrable cant.

> statements

A statement is /*supposed*/ to be a single line or indivisible block of
code. In reality, programmers abuse this term to no end.

> expressions

An expression is specifically a bit of code that the compiler regards as
having or producing a numeric or address value that can be used by other
bits of code. In most languages, this would exclude many of the entities
you wish to include (class definitions, for loops, etc.)

I think your best bet is "elements", "entities", or "components" (I'm
not crazy about the last one, because "component" sometimes has other
meanings in programming). Could I ask why you need such a term? An
example of how you intend to use it in a sentence might inspire other
possibilities.

L.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Freelance Writer: Technical - Business - Government

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=