Readin, Writin and Rithmetic

Subject: Readin, Writin and Rithmetic
From: Robert Maxey <Bob_Maxey -at- MTN -dot- 3COM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 12:54:29 -0600

>>Usually when people speak of "dropping standards" they are talking
about the basics: "reading writing, and arithmetic," not education in
high technology fields.

I was referring to the basics: Readin, Writin and Rithmetic - the three
R's. BTW: How come there are 3 Rs in this often quoted phrase? Isn't
'Rithmetic' supposed to be Arithmetic? I work with people every day that
can't use a ruler, can't write a sentence that can be understood, can't
figure simple percentages or even multiply 2 numbers together, and can't be
corrected without taking it personally, as some sort of racial attack.

I am reminded of a state - I believe it was California, that wanted to
institute the idea that competition is not that important, and wrong
answers are somehow acceptable. The idea, as I understood it, was to reward
the child if he or she simply made an attempt to get the answer correct
rather than actually getting the answer correct. I should have paid more
attention, and perhaps someone on the list can enlighten and correct me.

Assuming I have the general idea correct, how can we justify either plan?
Is it me, or is it insane? Do we want to work for companies that are not
interested in competition? Am I too sensitive and full of swamp gas?

Bob Maxey

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=