Re: An ugly job incident

Subject: Re: An ugly job incident
From: Esther Wheeler <esther -at- AZURE-TECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:08:47 -0400

Anonymous -

The recommendations to talk to an employment lawyer are right
on the money, and I speak from experience. Whether or not you
did anything that might be suspicious, you need an opinion from
a third legal party.

When I was blindsided by one of those walk-you-to-your-car layoffs
I was asked to sign my life away in my surprise "exit" interview.
I could barely focus on the paper, let alone what it said. I said I
had to read it over and asked to take a copy home. I took it
straight to an employment lawyer. He helped me understand
what they were asking, and we drafted a reply letter that eventually
ironed out the severance and stock issues in a sensible way.
I think they were stunned that anybody pushed back.

Make every effort to protect your personal and professional
interests in this nasty time. It certainly sounds like you did nothing
to be ashamed of. I feel a certain amount of satisfaction about
my incident now (it's been 7 years). The company folded shortly
afterwards and life went on.

Let us know the outcome -- you'll survive this and find a better job.

- Esther

Esther Wheeler (esther -at- azure-tech -dot- com)
GN Nettest / Azure Operation

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=