Re: The Ugly Incident

Subject: Re: The Ugly Incident
From: Mark Whitney <WHITNEMR -at- MORRISVILLE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:03:12 -0400

< No he doesn't.

< that's my five gallons of gas for this fire.

< John

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Me:
I was going to let this drop after reading the post from the listowner
saying the original poster had lost posting priviledges, as he probably
wouldn't see it. But after John's post I felt that maybe the attitudes
displayed were not as uncommon as I had hoped.

There are some very interesting Communication studies on the perception
of women in the workplace. To make a long story short, (so you can get back
to Tech Writing issues) if a woman is an "aggressive, hard-nosed, decision-
maker, hands-on" (or insert other adjectives) type of manager, she is
perceived as being a bitch. However, these are also the traits that are
listed as being needed to be a successful manager. AND, if men are
perceived as holding these traits, they are viewed positively.

It's a no win situation for women. If they don't act like that, they
are (often, not always) considered too passive to be put into positions
of responsibility. If they do act like that, they are perceived as being
bitches and people don't want to co-operate.

Hoping it can get better....judge on performance

Mark Whitney
Communications Dept
SUNY Morrisville

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=