Working remotely from development team

Subject: Working remotely from development team
From: Bevan McCabe <Bevan -at- SOFTTECH -dot- CO -dot- NZ>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:14:42 +1300

Hi,

Is it a common practice in software development for TWs to work from a
different location to that of the development team?

I am thinking specifically of situations where the TW is located in the
target market, and the development team is located in another country.

For those of you who have done it, can you tell us something about how the
experience was? What problems did you have that you don't have when in the
same location as development? Were
there any special techniques you used?

To give you a brief rundown, our company's development team is based in
Auckland, New Zealand. I was based there until a month ago. Now I am writing
specifically for the US market, based near Dallas, Texas. However, I am
still required to keep the online help up to date with the latest features.
I am the sole TW here.

We have a database recording bugs and enhancements to the code, which I
have access to. I also email QA to find out about recent changes.

Please copy your reply to me, as I receive the digest version.

Thanks,
Bevan McCabe
Technical Writer
Soft Tech (NZ) Ltd.
Auckland, New Zealand
mailto:bevan -at- softtech -dot- co -dot- nz

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=