Re: Tech writing interviews

Subject: Re: Tech writing interviews
From: Vanessa Andrews <Vanessa_Andrews -at- INTERVOICE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:38:45 -0500

At a previous company where I worked as a tech writer, I submitted a
proposal to the HR dept. that argued tech writers should be paid a
comparable salary to the instructional designers. The HR manager told
me that since I was only a typist, I couldn't compare myself to them.
He thought I should compare myself to the secretaries.

(Didn't take me long to find a new, better paying job).

--various snips involved--
<< Just had an interview with people who kept asking, "But where do
> you get all those details if nobody writes it for you?" and "What
> does a technical writer DO besides make it look pretty?"

You too?! A few years back, the marketing vp (and former programmer
years
before) at a company where I was working said just that in a senior
staff
meeting. She thought all publications were written by the programmers
and
hardware engineers. According to her, all pubs did was "make it look
pretty". >>

Vanessa Andrews
Senior Technical Writer
InterVoice, Inc.