Linking external AVIs from within a CHM

Subject: Linking external AVIs from within a CHM
From: Alessandro Bottoni <bottoni -at- CADLAB -dot- IT>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:49:15 +0200

I'm playing with HTML Help Workshop and I would like to link a few AVI
movies to my CHM as external files. This because my AVIs are rather bulky
and I do not want to put them inside the CHM.

I tried with a simple file:\\disk:\directory\filename.ext link but I
discovered that it works with absolute URLs only. If I use links like:
file:\\directory\filename.ext , the HTML Help Viewer searches the AVI inside
the CHM itself, not inside the file system of my PC.

To by-pass this problem, I'm thinkink to use an EXECUTE command, or
something like that, to invoke the AVI Viewer and pass to it the AVI file
name as a Command Line parameter.

Does anybody knows how I can do it?
Which language can I use to perform this task? Javascript? Java?
Does anybody has any further suggestion?

TIA
Alessandro Bottoni
Technical Writer
Cad.Lab SPA