Re: Software Guides

Subject: Re: Software Guides
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:33:25 -0700

As usual, it depends on the software. A lot of software can be used without
a book, in fact, the argument is that a book takes you further away from
completing the task than help does, so help is better. Books are much better
for navigation, but you can't beat context-sensitive help for presenting the
right information at the right time.

Where help falls down, and where a small Getting Started book comes into
play, is as an introduction to the software, including strategies for using
it, basic concepts, and so forth. Help users don't like to read about
concepts, they typically have specific problems to solve. So, not shipping a
manual is not a disaster, usually.

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com

> product
> > with only the online help. No installation guide, no user's guide. He
> says
> > he'd like to see how much the customer's complain when they don't get
> any
> > documentation.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=