Re: Ranking Criteria for Writers

Subject: Re: Ranking Criteria for Writers
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 08:38:05 +0100

Everywhere I've worked in the UK there have been just 3/4 levels defined:

Junior/Trainee - equivalent to Intern in the US. Effectively somebody
who has done TW at college etc or has just moved into it from
engineering etc.

Technical Author - your everyday author who gets on and does the work.

Senior Technical Author - as author but regarded as senior due to
experience/expertise (depending on company qualifications may have a
bearing). Usually in charge of specific project(s).

Tech Pubs Manager - Generally no longer writing much. Overall
management of several projects (often overall editing say as well)

How closely these are adhered to very much depends on the company, company
size etc. Small companies usually only have 1/2 authors so generally you
end up (in fact if not in title!) as a mix of 2 and 3. Can be very
political in larger companies but I've always worked on the premise that
I'm not too bothered what they call me (within reason!!) as long as they
pay what I consider the appropriate amount for what I'm doing.

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=