FWD: RE: ethical problem/job hunting

Subject: FWD: RE: ethical problem/job hunting
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 07:00:36 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

I myself (anonymous) am in a work situation where:
1. I am a full-time tech writer consultant/mgr in a pretty good consulting
firm, working in a "writing" project that's not challenging or even
satisfactory. (my client-project is not management, but my position w/
consulting firm is.) I work closely with my firm's Account Manager who
honestly asks me if I'd like to move on to another project. I trust him.
2. At the same time, within my own consulting firm, I am in process of
being interviewed for the internal staff position as training mgr, though
not sure if I'll be promoted to this position.
3. Within my client site, a sr. mgr friend has let me know about a
management position within the client company, and she encourages me to send
my resume, as a full-time company employee.

What to do??

1. Secretly look for the client site job while waiting for the answer to
the consulting firm's staff position opening?
2. Openly ask the Account mgr to find me another project within my
consulting firm?
3. Openly ask the Account mgr about that position w/ the client, and see if
our firm (via me) could get that client position as an account w/ them?
4. Other??

I know there are many other factors involved, including my own tendancies,
but I'm first wondering about the ethics of all this.

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=