Re: CUI terminology

Subject: Re: CUI terminology
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:10:25 -0600

Ruth Kiner-Cola asked:

[snip] We've had several good-natured
>discussions, but they continue to give me this "RCA-dog" look when I tell
>them that a "button" is an OOP term solely of the GUI domain. They're
>making me crazy.

I'm not sure that the term "button" lives solely in the GUI domain.

There are several programming toolkits used to create character-based
interfaces, such as "curses." See
http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/interface.html for links to descriptions
of several toolkits. SUIT, developed by the University of Virginia, holds
some promise with respect to naming conventions. See
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~suit/. Another possibility is CHARM (stands for
Character Motif), for which I believe that SCO is responsible. See
http://compy.ww.tu-berlin.de/VTcl_DOC/VTCLG/vtclgC.style_charm_nav.html for
a description of the aspects of interfaces coded to these guidelines.

Try searching the 'net for additional resources on character-based
interfaces.

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- healtheon -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com