Re: Is a tech writing degree best? Was:TECHWR-L in the News

Subject: Re: Is a tech writing degree best? Was:TECHWR-L in the News
From: "Brian, Flaherty" <bflaher -at- INDCON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:27:50 -0500

I started over 10 years ago when there were no TW degrees. I have a
degree in English with concentration in writing. Back then, and for a
long time, most of the degrees requested were English, Communications or
Journalism for TW positions.

Now that TW is a hot job ticket, and because of the proliferation of PCs
in the job world and the growing need for TWs, many colleges and
universities now offer (and are in the process of devising) TW degrees.
Many offer both BA/BS and MA/MS degrees in tech writing. As a result, a
lot of companies require college grads looking to get into TW to have a
Technical Writing degree (although they will still consider those with
English, Communications or Journalism degrees and background). (It is
also becoming one of those "minimal" HR requirements, especially for
entry-level TW positions.)

Based on my observations, newbies and those with 3 to 5 years or less of
experience may be expected to have a TW degree or TW certificate. Some
comapnies may want people like myself to have a TW certificate. Some
may understand that TW degrees and certs are new. So, when looking for
someone with 5 to 7+ years of experience they may PREFER to find someone
with a TW cert or degree, but it may not necessary BE ESSENTIAL to have
one.

If I'm in role to make a hiring decision, I may give some extra
consideration to someone with a TW degree. But I would base it on their
experience, ability to learn, ability to relate to others, and other
hiring factors. A person may have a TW degree, but I may not hire (or
recommend to hire) someone solely on the basis of having a TW degree (or
any other degree for that matter).

FWIW

Brian Flaherty
ICS, Paramus, NJ (USA)