Re: Online Help question

Subject: Re: Online Help question
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:24:48 -0800

Sounds like you're creating online documentation, not online help. Online
help topics are typically small enough that there is only one figure or
table in a topic, so captions aren't necessary. So, if you have a topic
called "Keyboard Shortcuts" that includes a table of keyboard shortcuts, the
topic title serves as the table caption. Also, there usually aren't very
many figures in online help, so no need for figure captions.

At any rate, if you use figure or table captions in any online media, put
them above the figure or table. You do this because you scroll down to see
the figure or table, and if the caption is below the figure or table, you
can't see the caption until you scroll past the figure or table.

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com

> I'm developing an online help system taken as a direct (or almost
> direct) copy of our hardcopy documentation. My question: is it
> customary to include captions for online documentation as you do
> in hardcopy for tables and graphics? Thanks!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=