Problems viewing PNG graphic?

Subject: Problems viewing PNG graphic?
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:05:03 -0700

I missed the start of this thread, so I can't reply to the poster
directly, but I think I've got the solution for whoever it was that
posted <<I was unable to see the PNG image. When I clicked on the
link, I got an error message - something about Quick-time not being
installed properly.>>

I'll bet you a beer (or the electronic equivalent) that Arlen
Walker's comment holds the key: <<at least on the Mac platform, both
Explorer and Netscape rely on QuickTime for reading PNG (I know,
because I saw the QT logo come up when I clicked on the image).>>

One of two things is likely happening here (based on the original
message, I'm assuming that the poster has a recent enough browser
that it ostensibly handles PNG graphics). First, it could be that
Quicktime isn't installed on the computer that isn't displaying the
file; if so, you can download the Quicktime helper from Apple's web
site, download it from the browser's support web site, reload it from
your MacOS CD-ROM, or reload it from the browser's installation
disks. More likely, what's happened is that the PNG format has become
dissociated with Quicktime because of a corrupted preferences file
(or because someone tampered with the browser's preferences). Most
browsers have a separate preference tab that lets you instruct the
browser which helper application (in this case, Quicktime) to launch
for each text, graphics, or multimedia format). To fix the problem,
find the location of the Quicktime helper application (or "plugin")
and redo the preferences setting. Voila!
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"By God, for a moment there it all made sense!"--Gahan Wilson

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=